VanScoy, Maurer & Bash Diamond Jewelers is a marriage of two very prominent businesses in the Susquehanna Valley. Mark Maurer, owner of Van Scoy Diamond Mine, and Bill Bash, owner of Bash Jewelers decided to make a move in May of 2004 to combine their stores. In doing this, VanScoy, Maurer & Bash Diamond Jewelers was born.
Bash Jewelers started as Jack Schwartz Jewelers in 1952 when Harry Bash and Jack Schwartz founded the company. Both Jack and Harry were former managers of a large retail jewelry chain. The original store was at 132 N. Queen St. in Lancaster, now Lancaster Square.
Harry Bash bought out Jack in 1960, and he moved the business to its last Lancaster City address at 33 N. Queen St in 1963. This move brought the birth of the name Bash Jewelers. Bill Bash joined his uncle and upon Harry’s retirement continued to grow the business. In 2004, with hopes of an upcoming retirement, Bill joined forces with Mark Maurer.
Mark Maurer was running his own successful operation, Van Scoy Diamond Mine, which was in business since 1981. Van Scoy operated largely with diamond sales whereas Bash also had many of the up and coming designer lines. This merger was such a win-win for both Maurer and Bash that they both jumped at the chance. With that merger, both Maurer and Bash have created the premier destination jewelry store in the Susquehanna Valley.
Learn about the Advantage of Having a Professional Gemologist on Staff